Veterans Memorial Trail
The Veterans’ Memorial Trail, located at the Repat Health Precinct, has been designed to acknowledge the important and meaningful connection the veteran community has with the Repat Health Precinct and ensure this important relationship is honoured and continued.
Maps, workbooks and quizzes have also been developed to allow the Trail to be used as an educational tool for school students.
The trail comprises of a number of commemoratively named facilities and areas, named after South Australian veterans.
The names chosen for each of the areas or facilities were based on the following principles, agreed upon by the sub-committee:
- Acknowledgement of the past (i.e. the military history of South Australia, and the history of the Repat Health Precinct)
- Relevance to the contemporary veteran community
- Having regard for the future.
Key features of the trail
- The Repat Museum, which contains a wealth of memorabilia relating to the hospital's history, as well as both world wars and major conflicts.
- The Repat Chapel opened in 1944 and commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia as been involved.
- The School's Patriotic Fund (SPF) Hall, opened in 1943, demonstrates the contribution of civilians to the war effort and the support of veterans. It was built using funds raised by the SPF and the Red Cross, for the benefit of patients of the hospital.
The site contains historical buildings and places of interest including the Repat Chapel which opened in 1944, and the School’s Patriotic Fund (SPF) Hall, which opened in 1943, which was built using funds raised by the SPF and Red Cross, for the benefit of patients of the hospital.
The Veteran’s Memorial Trail, launched on the 80-year celebration of the Repat Health Precinct, has been designed to acknowledge the important and meaningful connection our veteran community has had and continues to have with the Repat site.
Schools are welcome to come and enjoy an excursion through important South Australian history.
For further information about booking a school visit please contact:
Telephone: 0435 680 451