TIER (Transform, Inspire, Engage and Redesign) Leadership and Management Program
The TIER Leadership and Management Program (referred to from here on as the Program) is an 12 month training program that aims to develop Nursing and Midwifery Unit Managers and those in leadership positions to build their capacity to more confidently and effectively lead and manage people and business operations within their workplaces.
The program has been mapped to and supports the Department of Health and Wellbeing’s Leadership and Management Capability Framework. It will support the individual’s department in the delivery of the SA Health Strategic Plan by building capability and capacity of the nursing and midwifery profession in the domains of leadership. The program focuses on 2 set themes, leadership and people and business management.
Intended learning outcomes for both themes are detailed below:
Leading self and others
- Develop an understanding of political climates that impact health.
- Develop and apply strategies on fixed and growth mindsets preparing for change.
- Develop a greater self-awareness in communication to facilitate negotiations, productivity and performance.
- Demonstrate the key tenants of transformational leadership in practice.
- Demonstrate and apply principles of shared governance.
- Build and sustain a constructive, motivated and engaged workplace culture.
- Align personal values with purpose and culture.
- Develop resilience in turbulent and changing health environments.
- Develop and apply the principles of emotional intelligence into leadership practices.
People and business management
- Develop and apply strategies in the management of people with diverse personality and generation profiles.
- Demonstrate confidence and agility in conflict management.
- Effectively manage operational aspects of recruitment, retention and performance management.
- Demonstrate compliant staff rostering and resourcing activities to enterprise and industrial requirements.
- Demonstrate and apply strategies to positively influence decision makers.
- Understand revenue streams in health and the impact of decisions on business outcomes.
- Develop and apply the principles of design thinking to shape and re shape systems of operation.
- Develop and apply the principles of mindfulness and lean thinking into operational effectiveness.
- Apply business acumen and financial management principles to operational effectiveness.
- Understand and navigate data management systems to drive evidenced based decisions.
The TIER Program was delivered in:
More than 70 Nurse/Midwife Unit Managers have successfully completed the program.
Flinders University and the University of South Australia credit acknowledgement for post-graduate study
In support of ongoing education for public sector nurses and midwives, the Nursing and Midwifery Office has partnered with Flinders University and the University of South Australia (UniSA) to provide credit arrangements for TIER graduates.
On completion of the TIER Leadership and Management Program, participants are eligible to receive credit for the following programs:
- Master of Health Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Health Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Health Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Aged Care Administration
- Master of Science (Health Administration)
Credit to be awarded:
- Leadership in Health and Aged Care (HACM9100) – 4.5 units
- Unspecified credit – Option topic – 4.5 units
University of South Australia
- Master of Health Services Management
- Graduate Certificate in Health Services Management
- Graduate Diploma in Health Services Management
Credit to be awarded:
- Responsible Leadership in Health (HLTH 5196) – 4.5 units
- Strategy for Health and Aged Care Managers (HLTH 5198) – 4.5 units
Contact the Nursing and Midwifery Office via email: Health.NursingandMidwiferyOfficeScholarships@sa.gov.au