Allied Health Professionals + Professional Development Reimbursement Program
The Allied Health Professionals + Professional Development Reimbursement Program (AHP+PDRP) provides additional Professional Development (PD) funds for eligible allied health and scientific health staff working in SA Health.
The Allied and Scientific Health Office is in the process of rescinding the Allied Health Professionals Professional Development Reimbursement + Program Policy Directive, which directs implementation of the Allied Health Professionals + Professional Development Reimbursement Program (AHP+PDRP).
The AHP+ PDRP will continue to be supported via the Allied Health Professionals + Professional Development Reimbursement Program Framework which is currently in development. The framework will align with the South Australian Public Sector Enterprise Agreement: Salaried 2021 (PDF 10.0MB) and Commissioner’s Determination 3.2 set out by the Office of the Commissioner for Public Sector employment which applies to SA Public Sector employees employed under the Public Sector Act 2009.
Summary of key changes
It is intended that the following expenses will not be eligible for reimbursement under the new framework which, pending finalisation of consultation, will take effect in Round 2 :
- travel transport transfer expenditure relating to bus/taxi/shuttle/third party (Uber, DiDi etc)
- third party providers such as AirBnB, Booking.com, Wotif, Webjet, etc. This also applies to international travel
- travel related expenditure where Frequent Flyer or other benefit schemes have been claimed.
It is intended that the following professional development programs associated with normal business requirements will continue to be ineligible for reimbursement:
- safety and quality
- mandatory training
- training programs unrelated to current employment duties from a clinical capacity
- training and development programs considered as a business need and/or aligned to the employee’s performance development and succession planning (i.e. Project Management, Excel, Power BI. SQL, Python).
Round 1 – 1 July 2023 to 5 August 2023
- individual direct reimbursements
- Individual Pre-approval; and
Round 2 – 23 October 2023 to 1 December 2023
- individual direct reimbursements
Round 3 - 1 February 2024 to 31 March 2024
- individual direct reimbursements; and
Types of applications
Employees and groups can seek prior approval for expenses before the activity occurs.
During eligible rounds employees can submit direct reimbursement and seek pre-approval as part of 1 application.
Individual direct reimbursement
Where an employee has already incurred the expenses associated with their professional development expenses.
Open to individual applicants only.
When a manager or discipline group determines a professional development session that is necessary and/or highly sought after, and will benefit a number of staff, they are able to make a Group Application.
This can include potential participants from other Allied Health and Scientific Departments and/or professions.
Where the cost of the activity is greater than $200 per head then this amount will be deducted from the employees individual allocation.
Any shortfall in funding due to an employee exhausting their individual allocation amount will need to be picked up by the Local Health Network or Statewide Service.
Who can apply
Current SA Health employees who meet all the following criteria:
- work under the South Australian Public Sector Enterprise Agreement: Salaried 2021 (PDF 10.0MB) and
- classified as either of the following:
- an allied health professional (AHP)
- dental officer (DO)
- grant funded scientist (GFSc)
- medical physicist (MPH)
- medical scientist (MeS )
- professional officer (PO).
- have registration or professional body requirements that include continuing professional development for registration or accrediting purposes.
Further information on who can apply is available in the Allied Health Professionals + Professional Development Reimbursement Program Policy Directive (PDF 497KB).
What the program covers
The AHP+PDRP covers the reasonable reimbursement of professional development activity costs for individuals and groups up to a capped amount per financial year.
The following items cannot be approved:
- entertaining colleagues/others while at courses/conferences
- providing meals or refreshments, including to paid/unpaid staff
- purchase of medical equipment, for example stethoscopes
- Commonwealth supported places or fees paid via a Higher Education Loan Repayment (HELP) or equivalent scheme
- professional registration, professional association membership or Union fees
- professional insurance
- computers including laptops, PDAs, iPads , mobile phones and phone plans
- internet subscriptions including rental and plan costs
- audio-visual equipment including TVs, monitors and cameras
- payment made on a salary sacrifice card or account, for instance MAXXIA
- travel transfer expenditure made without a valid tax invoice bearing the applicant’s name
- third party accommodation company bookings (i.e. AirBnB or similar)
- bookings for flights where personal frequent flyer or loyalty points are accrued and any fares above economy class
- outdated application forms — please see below for current forms.
Applications can only be submitted via the online system during round opening times.
All relevant documents should be uploaded and attached to your online application. If you have any difficulties, please email the AHP+PDRP team at HealthAHPplus@sa.gov.au.
You (or the organiser) will receive an email three weeks after the close of the round notifying you of the outcome.
If travelling overseas, you must submit the HR-077 Overseas Travel Application Form and SA Health Travel Diary as part of your application, as per the current Overseas Travel Policy Directive (PDF 945KB).
The application will not be assessed unless this document is provided.
Applications can only be submitted by a manager or appropriate delegate.
If application approved the organiser will be required to supply the AHP + PDRP program with:
- letter of agreement signed by both parties
- proposal from provider outlying services to be provided
- a participant list and results of the evaluation undertaken, on completion of the activity.
- AHP+PDRP Pre Approval Request Form (PDF 452KB) — required for pre-approval and group applications only
- AHP+PDRP Expense Payment Declaration Form (PDF 1MB) – required for all individual applications
- Accounts Payable Creation/Maintenance Form (PDF 223KB) — SA Health employees only - required for all individual applications
- Third Party Declaration (DOC 37KB) – required when purchases are made on behalf of applicant
- HR-077 Overseas Travel Application Form – for travel greater than five days, please access this form via the Overseas Travel Policy Directive page on the SA Health Intranet
- SA Health Travel Diary – for travel greater than five days, please access this form via the Overseas Travel Policy Directive page on the SA Health Intranet.
- valid tax invoice as per the Australian Taxation Office
- proof of payment including the amount paid, the applicants name or another personal identifier (i.e a bank statement)
- flight itinerary (if not included in invoice for flights).
For further information on the program, including help applying for the program, contact the AHP+PDRP team at HealthAHPplus@sa.gov.au or refer to the Allied Health
Professionals + Professional Development Reimbursement Program Policy Directive