Youth mental health services (aged 16 to 24 years)
Youth Mental Health Service will provide young people from 16 to 24 years of age with accessible mental health services that are youth friendly and supported by strong collaborative partnerships to achieve the best health, wellbeing and quality of life for young South Australians.
The shared statewide vision is that every contact strengthens a young person’s wellbeing, mental fitness and engagement with life.
Youth Mental Health Service aims to better engage young people and work with them to develop the skills and supports they need to manage mental health distress and enjoy the best health possible.
Youth Mental Health Service provides a range of services to young people with mental health issues, including:
- mental health assessment and care planning
- individual therapy
- group work
- family work
- trauma informed care
- medical care including medication initiation/ review
- Care Coordination (as appropriate) where there are a number of non-government and primary care services involved.
- in-reach to in-patient facilities
- in-patient care including step-down care
- physical assessment
- alcohol and other drugs assessment
- co-care with GPs, partner agencies and other service providers
- consultation and liaison services to support youth and community services
- referrals to other services/agencies as appropriate
- metabolic monitoring.
Youth Mental Health Services are being rolled out across South Australia according to the following schedule:
- Country South Australia - services available
- Southern Adelaide (PDF 1159KB) - services available
- Central Adelaide - services available from 3 March 2015*
- Northern Adelaide - services available from March 2015*
*Where Youth Mental Health Services have not yet begun, existing Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services for children aged 0 to 18 years and adult Mental Health Services for people 18 years and older are available.
Young people can access Youth Mental Health Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 13 14 65
Young people living in country South Australia can contact Youth Mental Health Services through:
Local Community Mental Health Services
Contact the following during business hours:
- Berri (08) 8580 2812
- Ceduna (08) 8626 2108
- Clare (08) 8841 3500
- Gawler/Barossa (08) 8521 2080
- Kadina (08) 8828 1350
- Kingscote (08) 8553 4231
- Mount Barker (08) 8393 1636
- Mount Gambier (08) 8721 1507
- Murray Bridge (08) 8535 6800
- Port Augusta (08) 8668 7800
- Port Lincoln (08) 8683 2083
- Port Pirie (08) 8638 1100
- Victor Harbor (08) 8552 0600
- Whyalla (08) 8644 5130
Emergency Triage and Liaison Service
Contact 13 14 65, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Country Referral Unit
Call 1800 003 307 during business hours only
Youth helplines and 24 hour e-mental health supports