Ambulance and emergency services
If someone is seriously injured or needs urgent medical help, call Triple Zero (000) and ask for an ambulance or attend an emergency department.
When to call Triple Zero (000)
You should call Triple Zero (000) if a person experiences:
- chest pain or tightness
- difficulty breathing
- sudden collapse or an unexplained fall
- fits or seizures
- uncontrollable bleeding
- serious burns
- a fall from great height
- injury from a car accident
- serious assault
- fits, allergic reactions or ongoing fever (in infants)
If you are providing first aid to someone in a medical emergency:
- ask someone else to make the call to Triple Zero (000), if possible
- call out for help if you are by yourself
- if required, briefly leave the patient to make the call to Triple Zero (000) if no one else is available to help.
Triple Zero (000) is a free call from any phone, mobile or phone box.
Mental health emergency
For help in a mental health emergency, call the Mental Health Triage Service on 13 14 65 (24 hours, 7 days).
Not an emergency?
If it’s not an emergency, consider if there is a better way to get better.