Falls prevention services for older people
A fall can happen to anyone at any age, but you are at a higher risk of injury as you get older.
The good news is that there are many things you can do to reduce your risk.
Falls are not an inevitable part of getting older, and taking steps to reduce them will keep you strong and independent.
The first step
The first step is to know what things may be putting you at risk.
- Your health and mobility - such as muscle and joint weakness or pain, being unsteady on your feet, poor vision and some combinations of medicines.
- Hazards in your home and your local area can increase your risk of falling. These can include slipping and tripping hazards, wet or poorly lit areas and steps and stairs.
- Osteoporosis (bone-thinning) and being very thin with fragile skin can increase your risk of injury should you fall.
A fall risk assessment can help you to know if you are at risk. Your doctor or health professional can help you organise this.
The next step is to reduce your risk by becoming more active, having your glasses and medication checked, and having a low risk home.
For more information please refer to our fact sheets.
If you would like to have a risk assessment, or if you feel a relative or friend needs to be assessed, there are falls prevention teams across South Australia. These teams can provide advice, and help to connect you to the right service in your area.
Falls prevention services
Adelaide metropolitan services
For all metropolitan falls prevention services, please call 1300 0 FALLS (1300 032 557)
Northern Adelaide Local Health Network
Specialist Patient Rehabilitation Centre (SpARC)
Phone: (08) 7321 4014
Fax: 1300 467 567
- Northern Adelaide LHN service directory (PDF 1.3MB)
- Referral form NALHN Falls Assessment Clinic (PDF 221KB).
Central Adelaide Local Health Network
CALHN Community Falls Prevention Service
PO Box 43, Woodville SA 5011
Phone: 08 8222 8867
Fax: 1300 724 900
- Central Adelaide LHN service directory (PDF 1.2MB)
- Referral form CALHN Falls Assessment Clinic (PDF 48KB).
Southern Adelaide Local Health Network
Intermediate Care Services
GP Plus Health Care Centre Marion, 10 Milham Street, Oaklands Park SA 5046
- Southern Adelaide LHN Service Directory (PDF 1.2 MB)
- Referral Form SALHN Geriatrician Led Falls Assessment Clinic (PDF 258KB)
- Referral Form SALHN ICS In-Home Falls Assessment (PDF 52KB).
Country SA services
Please contact your local community health service for information about services that are available close to you. You can also contact the Falls Program Manager on Health.CHSAFallsPreventionProject@sa.gov.au
Australian Guidelines on Prevention of Falls and Harm from Falls
In 2009 the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care completed a revision of Preventing Falls and Harm from Falls: Best Practice Guidelines for Australian Hospitals, Residential Aged Care and Community Care.
Safety and Quality Unit
Telephone: (08) 8226 9599